Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Dreaded Garter Bar

At least that's what I always thought of it.  I just recently started working with it as a member of my Sacramento Guild is doing a charity project.  She asked me to help out and she'd teach me how to make "baby doll clothes" as she likes to call them.  I call them doll clothes.  I have no reason to make baby doll clothes, but I'm always happy to help with a charity project.  I also thought it was a great time to finally dust off my garter bar and actually work with it.

It wasn't easy at first.  Had several rows that looked like this.
But once I figured out Becky's garter bar had a slight bend in the middle I was finally able to account for that and become successful.  I was teasing with my friend Bonnie, who had also joined the project and lesson that I was sweating profusely each time I had to use the garter bar.  And that I think I was getting a ulcer.  We figured that we needed to practice on something we didn't care about.  Messing up in the middle of a hat was too stressful.
 
As with anything learning your tools and practice I was able to successfully get a many rows turned for the "baby doll hats."  I think the garter bar and I will become friends in the very near future.
 
 
Once I get a hat and matching coat done I'll post a photo.
 

2 comments:

  1. I have a garter bar too and only tried to use it once and couldn't fathom how to get the stitches off the machine onto it. Had to come and find a youtube video on how to do it. Am dreading trying again lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slide them over with the side of your hand the main thing is to have everything lined up straight and take your time

    ReplyDelete